Often referred to as "the Yellow Rose of Texas", Amarillo is the largest city in the Texan Panhandle. This vibrant city is known for its beautiful natural landscape and is also home to attractions like Route 66's Cadillac Ranch and Big Texan Steak Ranch. Additionally, Amarillo boasts a growing economy and a relatively low cost of living. With its beautiful desert, robust economy, and the many trade schools in the area, Amarillo, Texas, can be a good place for vocational students to live and develop their careers.
Top Industries and Employers in Amarillo
Amarillo's top employers include the Northwest Texas Healthcare System, Tyson Foods, Inc., and the City of Amarillo. Due to the nature of Amarillo's businesses, skilled workers are in high demand and are regularly being hired in this area. As follows, some of the highest-paying careers in Amarillo are in the fastest-growing industries:
- Health care - the Dallas Fed reported in 2019 that the healthcare industry in Amarillo has expanded more than 13 percent from 2010 to 2017.
- Construction- According to a report by the Dallas Fed in 2019, this industry has grown over 21 percent over from 2010 to 2017.
- Business and financial services -- though this industry has not grown as much as either health care or construction, business, and financial services are among the highest-paying industries in Amarillo.
Why is Amarillo Good for Vocational Students?
Thanks to the economy's high demand for trained employees in these top industries, Amarillo, Texas has numerous programs to provide education for employees interested in working in health care, construction, financial services, and more:
- Texas Tech University includes schools of Pharmacy, Nursing, Medicine, and other health professions. This school offers a variety of degrees to prospective students, from certificates to masters.
- Amarillo College offers associate degrees in Business Administration, Hospitality Management, and Food Services Management, in addition to over 15 degrees in health care administration.
Learning a trade is an affordable way to improve your career prospects. Look through our website to learn more about how you can achieve your professional goals.