With a population of approximately 200 thousand people, Rochester is New York's third-largest city. Thanks to the area's relatively low cost of living, growing economy and fantastic public schools, Forbes.com rated Rochester as one of the top three places to raise a family in 2010. In conjunction with the multitude of technical schools in Rochester, this area is also a great place for vocational students to start their careers.
Top Employers and Industries in Rochester
Rochester is home to a diverse set of industries, including high technology, agriculture, food and beverage production, health care and more.
Some of the most prominent employers in the region are Carestream Health, Monro Auto Service and Tire Centers, Eastman Kodak, Excellus Health Plan Inc. and the University of Rochester.
As such, it's no surprise that some of the fastest-growing industries in Rochester are:
Why Is Rochester Good for Trade and Vocational Students?
Rochester is a great city for prospective students to learn a trade and have an opportunity to choose among its highest-paying vocational careers. Rochester technical schools offer dozens of programs for students to choose from:
- Monroe Community College offers EMT classes and other health care training.
- Rochester's UA Local 13 offers plumbing training and apprenticeships.
- Rochester Educational Opportunity Center has numerous programs for locals, from culinary school to licensed practical nursing.
- Erie Community College is one of the best mechanic trade schools in Rochester, NY.
- The Arc + Flame Center in Rochester provides professional classes in welding, glassworking and blacksmithing. They also partnered with the Rochester Veterans Outreach Center to provide 8-hour introductory workshops for veterans.
Learning a trade can help you jumpstart your career without paying the high cost of a traditional four-year college. Learn more about how attending a vocational school in Rochester is the right choice for you by visiting other pages on our site, including the one about trade schools in New York.
Learn More about Rochester
Education and Earnings
|# Enrolled in College||15,658|
|Median Earnings Without High School Degree||$17,277|
|Median Earnings With High School Degree||$23,235|
|Median Earnings With Associate Degree||$28,602|
|Average Commute Time||20 minutes|
|% Commutes by Walking||6.7%|
|% Commutes by Bicycle||1.1%|
|% Commutes by Public Transportation||9.2%|
|Median Housing Cost||$816|
|Median Gross Rent||$807|
|Median House Value||$79,400|