With more than 3 million residents in the county, sunny San Diego is a growing and vibrant city. San Diego is the most southern major city in California. It's known for its beautiful weather, scenery, and 70 miles of coastline. Along with its dozens of trade schools, San Diego is also an excellent city for vocational students to learn, live, play, and work.
San Diego is a Growing City with a Thriving Economy
As San Diego's economy grows stronger, employers are hiring skilled, dedicated employees. San Diego's top employers include Sharp Healthcare, Dexcom (both are healthcare companies), and Qualcomm (a telecommunication equipment manufacturer). San Diego is also the home of LEGOLAND, Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, and numerous casinos. Known for its booming tourism activity, some of the highest-paying careers in San Diego are in the following industries:
Some of the fastest-growing industries include those in construction, health care and government.
Trade Schools and Vocational Programs
In addition to its growing economy, San Diego is good for trade students thanks to its numerous vocational schools offering a variety of courses:
- The Pacific Health Educational Center specializes in training students to become CNAs, one of the most highly demanded healthcare positions in the area.
- San Diego State University offers many certification programs but is best known for its information technology courses.
- San Diego Mesa College offers hospitality certification programs and associates degrees in both hotel and event management. This institution provides a financial aid program designed to assist its students in achieving their professional goals (while avoiding the steep costs of a four-year college program).
Depending on your interests, it is not necessary to attend a four-year college to obtain the job you want. Explore our website to find out how we can help you achieve your professional goals and become certified in your desired profession.
Learn More About San Diego
Education and Earnings
|# Enrolled in College||121,548|
|Median Earnings Without High School Degree||$20,432|
|Median Earnings With High School Degree||$28,726|
|Median Earnings With Associate Degree||$36,325|
|Average Commute Time||24 minutes|
|% Commutes by Walking||3.1%|
|% Commutes by Bicycle||1%|
|% Commutes by Public Transportation||4%|
|Median Housing Cost||$1,642|
|Median Gross Rent||$1,503|
|Median House Value||$523,600|
- 2019 Inc. 5000: The Most Successful Companies in America, Inc.com, 09/29/2019, https://www.inc.com/inc5000/2019/top-private-companies-2019-inc5000.html
- San Diego, Bureau of Labor Statistics, 09/29/2019, https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/ca_sandiego_msa.htm