The Spokane, Washington, economy has a long history of being supported by natural resources. Mining industries, agriculture and timber have helped to maintain the economy of the area; however, the area has seen an increase in other industries over the years.
For those asking, "why is Spokane good for vocational students," it's critical to note that in recent years, the Spokane economy has diversified to include several different service industries, along with high-technology industries and a bustling tourism industry.
Top Industries and Employers in Spokane
Known as the "Lilac City," Spokane's economy has traditionally been focused around natural resources. However, thanks to the increase in the need for technology services, the area now encompasses some of the fastest-growing industries around, including:
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences
- Real Estate
When it comes down to some of the highest-paying vocational careers in the area, those entering trade schools in Spokane will want to keep an eye on:
Wondering who is responsible for the current economy in Spokane, Washington? Here are just a few of the largest employers in the area:
- Providence Health Care
- Kalispel Tribal Economic Authority / Northern Quest Resort & Casino
- URM Stores INC.
- Gonzaga University
- Wal-Mart Stores INC.
- Multicare Rockwood Clinic
- Avista Corp.
- MulitCare Deaconess Hospital
Why is Spokane Good for Vocational/Technical Schools?
If you are looking for vocational and technical schools in Spokane and the surrounding areas, there are many options to choose from. While Spokane has several options for cosmetology and healthcare programs, trade schools in the surrounding areas offer programs in a variety of different sectors. Here are a few vocational schools in Spokane to help get your research started:
- Carrington College - the Carrington college offers several programs for those looking to enter the health care industry with options in dental/medical assisting, medical radiography, pharmacy technology, veterinary assisting, medical billing and coding and more
- Inland Massage Institute - one of the most respected massage therapy schools, offering students real-world experience through their Continuing Education program in Massage Therapy.
For more insight into vocational education in the state, read about Washington trade schools.
Learn More about Spokane
Education and Earnings
|# Enrolled in College||13,100|
|Median Earnings Without High School Degree||$20,910|
|Median Earnings With High School Degree||$28,207|
|Median Earnings With Associate Degree||$30,626|
|Average Commute Time||20 minutes|
|% Commutes by Walking||3.3%|
|% Commutes by Bicycle||0.7%|
|% Commutes by Public Transportation||4.1%|
|Median Housing Cost||$932|
|Median Gross Rent||$842|
|Median House Value||$174,300|