Oakland, California, which sits on the eastern side of the San Francisco Bay, is surrounded by a unique combination of nature and industrialization. The Bay Area is a hotspot for technology, but other industries are prevalent.
Top Employers and Industries in Oakland
Some of the top and fastest-growing industries in Oakland are:
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Accommodation and food services
- Health care
- Administrative and support services
- Waste management
- Finance and insurance
Oakland's major employers are Kaiser Permanente, Alameda County, the City of Oakland and the Bay Area Rapid Transit system.
Why is Oakland good for vocational students?
Depending on a person's career path, Oakland offers a variety of trade and vocational schools that may be of interest to trade and vocational students:
- International College of Cosmetology
- Moler Baber College
- Academy of Truck Driving
- Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences
- The English Center
- SUM Bible College and Theological Seminary
In addition to trade schools and two-year universities, Oakland has robust economic growth initiatives aimed at improving employee development and offering some of the highest-paying careers:
- Local Programs: Oakland is labeled as an Enhanced Enterprise Community. If businesses hire from within a specific region, they receive federal tax incentives, like the Work Opportunity Tax Credit and the Welfare to Work Tax Credit.
- State Programs: As part of Oakland's Recycling Market Department Zone (RMDZ) Program, the state of California offers engineering and technical assistance to qualifying businesses. The Oakland Foreign Trade Zone offers other tax incentives, as well.
- Job Training Programs: There are ample training programs in Oakland, including the Peralta Community College District Partnership, Oakland Higher Education Center, Eastbay Works One-Stop Career Center, Department of Adult Education, Alameda Country Workforce and Resource Development and the Private Industry Council. The city of Oakland coordinates with all of these and both new and existing companies.
Oakland is a fantastic example of a city that caters to vocational and trade students looking to forward their careers. This is why Oakland is good for trade students. You can learn more about California trade schools here.
Learn More about Oakland
Education and Earnings
|# Enrolled in College||23,297|
|Median Earnings Without High School Degree||$22,305|
|Median Earnings With High School Degree||$27,387|
|Median Earnings With Associate Degree||$35,395|
|Average Commute Time||33 minutes|
|% Commutes by Walking||4%|
|% Commutes by Bicycle||2.8%|
|% Commutes by Public Transportation||22.4%|
|Median Housing Cost||$1,540|
|Median Gross Rent||$1,354|
|Median House Value||$627,800|