Akron, Ohio, located just south of Cuyahoga Valley National Park and a few hours' drive from Cleveland and Lake Erie, could be a great place to start a trade school or vocational career. Learn more about the industries you can find in Akron, and highlights about trade schools in the area, below.
Top Industries and Employers in Akron
The top industries in Akron, which includes some of the fastest-growing industries, are:
- Health care
- Accommodation & food services
- Administrative & support services
- Waste management
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Finance and insurance
Some of the highest-paying careers are working with large companies in Akron, like those that employ over 2,500 people:
- Summa Health System
- Cleveland Clinic-Akron General
- Akron Children's Hospital
- Summit County
- Signet Jewelers
- Akron Public Schools
Why is Akron good for vocational students?
With a healthy diversification of careers in Akron, the city is an excellent place for vocational students. There are a number of trade schools in Akron:
Trade Schools in Akron
- University of Akron Main Campus
- National Institute of Massotherapy
- Akron School of Practical Nursing
- Gerbers Akron Beauty School
- Ohio School of Massotherapy, Inc.
- Akron Welding School
Vocational Training Programs in Akron
In addition to vocational schools in Akron, the local and state governments also offer job training and continuing education programs for employees with certain organizations or students at certain schools:
- Ohio Training Tax Credit Program: State program that offers tax incentives to offset the costs of training employees.
- Enterprise Ohio Network: State-created program that connects public universities and community colleges with businesses that want to provide continuing education for their employees.
- Ohio Investment in Training Program: State program that offers reduced training costs for new and expanding businesses, especially for those whose training costs are high.
- Summit County Employment Resource Center: Offers recruitment services for employers, skills-testing for the unemployed, customized on-the-job training and will advise both employees and employers during layoffs.
With a robust offering of technical schools in Akron, plus government programs aimed at employee training, Akron is a prime place to start a new career. Learn more by reading about Ohio trade schools.