Fresno, California, has a rich history and was founded by the Central Pacific Railroad Company in 1872. Director for the Railroad at the time, Leland J. Standford, is credited with not only deciding on the location for a new station but for the founding of the town as well. However, it wasn't until 1875 that the Central California Colony was established.
Since its merger beginnings and thanks to the rich history of the railroad industry, Fresno has become somewhat of an ethnic melting pot. With more than 70 ethnic groups located in the metropolitan area, making it a wonderful option for those looking for vocational or trade school options.
Top Industries and Employers in Fresno
As the fifth-largest city in the entire state, with a population of 519,037, the city is ideally suited for several of the fastest-growing industries, such as:
Some of the largest employers in the Fresno area that would fall under the top industries in the city include:
- Fresno VA Hospital Medical Ctr
- Kaiser Permenente Fresno Med
- Pitman Family Farms
- Stamoules Produce Co
- State Center Community College
Why is Fresno Good for Trade and Vocational Students?
The state of California has been working hard to ensure that their students have all they need to succeed. For instance, 80 percent of students attending technical schools in Fresno working Career Technical Education (CTE) programs have found jobs or have chosen to continue furthering their education and training within six months of graduation.
Fresno Trade and Vocational Schools
- Fresno City College is listed as one of the top 10 trade schools in California and offers programs in Automotive, Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD), Education, Food Services & Nutrition, Fire Technology, Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC), Medical, Welding and more.
- UEI College is among the many notable trade schools in Fresno, offering programs in Criminal Justice, Dental/Medical assistance, Pharmacy Technician, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.
- San Joaquin Valley College is another of Fresno's vocational schools that offer programs in Business Administration, Medical Office, Veterinary Assisting, Aviation Maintenance, Electrical Technology and Industrial Maintenance Technology
For more insight, read about vocational and trade schools in California.
Learn More About Fresno
Education and Earnings
|# Enrolled in College||38,586|
|Median Earnings Without High School Degree||$17,812|
|Median Earnings With High School Degree||$25,651|
|Median Earnings With Associate Degree||$30,862|
|Average Commute Time||22 minutes|
|% Commutes by Walking||1.5%|
|% Commutes by Bicycle||0.9%|
|% Commutes by Public Transportation||1.9%|
|Median Housing Cost||$1,005|
|Median Gross Rent||$931|
|Median House Value||$206,800|